VCAP5-DCA (DCA550) environment

It’s late on Jan 31, the DCA510 exam is now dead – long live VCAP5-DCA!

In celebration (because, trust me if you are interested in becoming VCAP5-DCA certified you are much better off taking DCA550) I’m posting some DCA550 goodness.

I’ve listed some of the specs here before, as well as in the forums. A candidate pulled that into a Visio graphic and shared it with me, which got me to thinking – the management interface has a pretty nifty view I could edit a bit for clarity that might help those building lab environments to match. Plus while I’ve posted the DCA510 desktop before I don’t think I’ve put up the 550.

550
If only one last-octet is listed for a machine with several nics, all have that last octet (if the interface is configured).

Note that all of the VMs listed there are “top level” or “first virtualization” level. If you are building this nested (like on Workstation) these are the VMs in Workstation.

There are many more components to the exam environment incl replication and vMA but all of those run nested on the hosts you see in that diagram.

550desktop

I’m working on a new Test Track environment to emulate DCA550 (DC and hosts created already). Hopefully it will done soon.

This entry was posted in Certification, Computing, Virtualization, VMware and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to VCAP5-DCA (DCA550) environment

1. Tony says:

Nice, good luck and appreciate all your effort!!

2. Kiran says:

Josh thank you once again for all the time and effort you are putting into this.

3. Nealo says:

Your level of awesomeness continues! I look forward to the new lab and would be more than happy to test it, and any scoring, out of course 🙂

4. Russell OConnor says:

The new material in VDCA550 its one of its best features (its not about getting a certificate but being better at what we do), these two resources helped me….

VMware vCenter Orchestrator: http://www.vmwarelearning.com/orchestrator/

What’s New Fundamentals [v5.5]: https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=det&id_course=201566

5. crashpr says:

You forgot something…. add lag and lots of it 🙂

6. Luis23 says:

Nice. Great job for us!!!!

7. I recommend Joshua’s test track. It really helped me to test myself before VCAP5-DCA.

8. Ryan says:

Hi, really looking forward to the new test track…even better if its available before my exam in March!!

I notice that there is mention of the vMA but that isn’t specifically listed in the DCA550 blueprint. Is it safe to assume this will be an area that is tested on? I’ve used it a bit but haven’t fully covered it in my study (yet!).

9. Vince says:

What’s the point now with the VCIX track announced now replacing the VCAP :-/. Thinking about waiting on my next attempt of the VCAP550 to just go to the VCIX.

• People were clamoring to take the DCA4 when it retired and they lined up in droves to take DCA510. DCA550+DCD550 will be good for a while yet to advanced to VCDX.

VCIX is not really much of a change from the expected “VCAP6” except now you’ll need two big exams to get one certification.

10. rob says:

I am sitting in the 550 class right now. Talk about timing! I’m curious if you could provide some info on if This is a home lab. I am going to be building a home lab shortly. Never done it before and wondered if you had any helpful hints.

11. Carlos says:

Hi, could you send me more info about this environment? I’m trying to replicate it at my lab. thanks.